I just made this guy cry himself to sleep for his afternoon nap and I feel just awful about it. Look how sweet he is! I must be a bad person. How is it that while he is crying, I'm so desperate for him to sleep but, as soon as he falls asleep, all I want to do is go in and snuggle him?
I've never really had to let my kids cry to sleep before. Eve and Eleanor were naturally such angelic sleepers, but Sam is something else. We've been gradually working with his night sleeping and he is doing really well. But his naps are driving me to a nervous breakdown! Our pediatrician told me that some babies are just wired to be catnappers, but I can't deal with two 30 minute naps a day. And a reluctant napper, at that! I feel like I hardly spend any time with my girls anymore and it's making me so sad.
And that is why, little Samuel, you had to cry yourself to sleep this afternoon. I think I need some chocolate.
And that is why, little Samuel, you had to cry yourself to sleep this afternoon. I think I need some chocolate.
11 comments:
Ha ha. Sorry. Liam is starting to be a little brat about his naps lately too, so I totally sympathize. It's worth it in the end...?
oh, that's a tough one. we've had to do some crying out and it's tough - but worth it, really. REALLY. it is.
I agree that it's worth it, but oh how I can relate to the whole napping struggle. It's sure tough when they are reluctant. If it makes you feel any better, I wish I had let Ella cry it out more often. I don't know as though it would have changed her disposition to be a better napper, but it would have been much better for my sanity. Hang in there.
Sweet, Gwyn, don't be so hard on yourself. It is so tough to hear them cry when you just want to cuddle them but they will thank you in the end. In a few short days he will most likely be a better napper and both of you will be happier because of it.
Good luck, and go for the chocolate. I think you deserve it!
You are NOT the worst mom ever. Go ahead and have that chocolate and remember that you are doing him a favor. He will be happier if he learns to sleep and sometimes this is the only way. Hang in there Gwyn!
He is so CUTE!
I hate crying it out, but we have had to do it at different times for both our kids and it was awful and it worked. Hope tomorrow is better!
Hang in there Gwyn, and stop being so hard on yourself! It will be okay.
Thanks for all the kind and supportive comments. So good to know that you all have been here before! I suppose I should amend my title a little. It does sound a little too "poor me!" Also, I would hate to imply that other moms who have had to do this are "the worst moms ever." You all are terriffic moms! It's just hard on my mommy self-esteem to feel so helpless to help my baby! But, like you all said, hopefully it will help him in the long run. He went down for his morning nap today without a tear in sight, so hooray!
You are not a bad mom at all! Sam sounds like my Nina - I thought when she was about 7 months old that she would be in some state a sleep training forever... She wanted to be rocked to sleep and then she would just take cat naps. I had to let her cry it out or I was going to snap. It did work and it was WORTH it. Hope he starts sleeping better for you!!
I hope you got that chocolate. :) (I'm back from a self-imposed blogging vacation, so nice to get caught up!) I'm so sorry, our sweet girls haven't exactly been great sleepers. It's really one of the hardest things I've ever dealt with, so lots of empathy here! I have had times where I felt I couldn't even sit down & read with my older two girls--who knew it could be such a luxury? We've had months of goodness now, so hang in there.
I wish I lived close I would bring over a diet coke with lime of course or a tub of ben and jerry's. I am so sorry, he is absolutley adorable!!
Post a Comment