The girls' school held its big Halloween carnival last Saturday, so we got to do a little Halloween dress-rehearsal. It was quite a night! The carnival is always crazy pants - a billion sweaty kids in costume tossing rings and bean bags - but this year seemed extra zoo-like. Eve vanished with some friends, Eleanor panicked at the crowd and tried to hide behind my legs for the first half hour, and Sam - my sweet brave little Sam - started off okay, but was reduced to trembling with fear because of a boy in a large blue duck costume. *sigh* After some cotton candy and snow cones eaten in the relative peace of the bleachers, everyone felt much better and launched themselves back into the chaos for another hour of fun. And I went home thanking my lucky stars that it's another whole year till we do it again!
While I am no huge Halloween fan, I love helping the kids with their costumes. And I loved their choices this year! (I may have been a little instrumental in Sam's selection...)

My Seuss-obsessed Eleanor as The Cat in the Hat. I found the little jumpsuit at Goodwill for only $2.99! It was meant to be. All it needed was a new bow. We already had the hat and, when we found Cat in the Hat socks at Target, the vision was complete.

Eve as Cleopatra. This pose was one she insisted on - her most queenly, I think.

Eve told me her book on anciet Egypt had a picture of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra, and she wanted to look just like that. Yikes! I did my best on a third-grade level. She loved her huge mysterious eyes, but when Sam saw her he burst into tears. "Who is that, Sammy?" "
sobbing I don't know!" "It's just Eve in her costume." "Evie is scary!" I think the snake headdress was just too much for Sam. Little did he know about the blue duck awaiting him....

Sam as Charlie Brown. This picture just doesn't quite do justice to the hilarity that is Sam as Charlie Brown. He was a hit at the carnival - well, except for the lady who thought he was Batman. She wasn't joking, either! "Oh, Charlie Brown was my second guess!" Batman only
wishes he was this cool!

I love his squiggle. Nora's makeup was pretty fun, too, but I'm thinking I can do a better job for
actual Halloween, so I'll wait until then to post her close-up.

Little known fact: Cleopatra needs glass when she goes to carnivals. She tried to go without, but a friend later led a squinty, blind, arms-outstretched Eve up to me. Cleopatra can't win the soda bottle ring toss without her prescription lenses!

Carnivals make The Cat in the Hat very sad and nervous, apparently. Until he consumes large amounts of sugar - then everything is wonderful! This frown didn't last long.
7 comments:
"Charlie Brown was my second guess??!" She must not get out much. :)
The costumes are adorable!! I love them. Eve looks so old. I love that Eleanor is so into Seuss. And Sammy as Charlie Brown...priceless!
Thanks for sharing the pics!
Beautiful costumes! Eve seems like such a fun and interesting girl. I think it's funny that Sam was scared of the blue duck when there were probably some scarier costumes there. Kids are so funny!
AWESOMENESS!!!
Batman and Charlie Brown both:
- own dogs (Snoopy and Ace the Bat-Hound)
- are always talking about parents you never see
- are bedeviled by red-headed women (the Little Red-Haired Girl and Poison Ivy)
Eve's glamour poses are cracking me up.
These costumes are sooo great! They all look fantastic but Eve's glamor poses make me realize you're going to have a tween on your hands in a couple of years--good luck with that!
I KNOW, FAITH! Craziness. She discovered Taylor Swift two weeks ago... yikes! I am hoping her nerdiness will keep her tween-ness in check.
Dylan discovered Taylor Lautner two years ago.
Awesome costumes!
Post a Comment