
My dear friend Aimee moved last week and it has been a major bummer. I have handled my funk by vascillating wildly between extreme busy-ness (organize closets! Paint bathrooms!) and extreme lethargy. I pretty much either want to be so busy I can't think about how sad I am, or asleep. Our little town has had such a rough time with the economic crisis and, one by one, I have seen too many friends pack up and leave Medford. This move was just almost too much to handle.
But it has been a week now and I am feeling better. Better enough to blog, at least! And while I miss my friend, I realize that this is a great thing for her family and I am so very happy and excited for them.
I also realize that just because you don't live next door to someone doesn't mean they aren't your friend anymore. I have tons of friends! They just happen to live in Texas and Washington and Maryland and Virginia and Kansas and Utah and Arizona and all over the place. I love and miss all of you wonderful friends!
So in honor of my friend Aimee and of my own turning point today, I would like to post 10 Fun Facts about Texas. Hopefully some of these facts will fill that Texas-shaped hole in my heart. (It really IS the biggest state! Ouch!)
But it has been a week now and I am feeling better. Better enough to blog, at least! And while I miss my friend, I realize that this is a great thing for her family and I am so very happy and excited for them.
I also realize that just because you don't live next door to someone doesn't mean they aren't your friend anymore. I have tons of friends! They just happen to live in Texas and Washington and Maryland and Virginia and Kansas and Utah and Arizona and all over the place. I love and miss all of you wonderful friends!
So in honor of my friend Aimee and of my own turning point today, I would like to post 10 Fun Facts about Texas. Hopefully some of these facts will fill that Texas-shaped hole in my heart. (It really IS the biggest state! Ouch!)
Ten Reasons Why Texas Is Awesome
- The armadillo is the state mammal.
- The first word spoken from the moon on July 20, 1969 was "Houston."
- King Ranch in Kingsville, Texas is larger than the entire state of Rhode Island.
- Dr Pepper was invented in Waco, Texas in 1885.
- Even their state capitol building is the biggest! It is 8 ft taller than the U.S. Capitol building. And it's kind of fruity looking.
- In Texas, it is still a "hanging offense" to steal cattle. (Also illegal: putting graffiti on someone else's cattle. Hopefully not a hanging offense.)
- It is also against the law to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel window.
- The Mars plant in Waco Texas produces 75% of the world's Snickers bars.
- Rodeo is the official state sport.
- Texas was an independent nation fron 1836 - 1845. Surprised, no?

Mostly, Texas is awesome because my friend Aimee lives there. Do you know any more fun facts? Feel free to share!
1 comment:
I had no idea such tasty things came out of Waco. Maybe it's time for me to rethink that town.
Best wishes!
Post a Comment