Wednesday, November 12, 2008

so much more than pie


I know canned pumpkin sits on the grocery store shelves the other nine months of the year, but for some reason I only notice it from October to December. And isn't it wonderful? We ate no less than three delicious foods filled with pumpkinny goodness this last week and enjoyed every minute. Thank you, Libby's!

  • Pumpkin Cookies, the world's easiest recipe, shared with me by my good friend Lynette. Just a small can of pureed pumpkin and a spice cake mix. Nothing else! Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes and enjoy!

And we didn't eat this last week, but here is a recipe my mom made for Christmas one year and I fell in love with it. It's high maintenance, so I usually just save it for the big Christmas dinner:

Chocolate Pumpkin Marble Cake

How much more pumpkin can I enjoy before it loses it's magic in January? How do you like your pumpkin? Please share!

12 comments:

Jenni said...

Thanks so much for sharing the recipes - they all sound fantastic!!

I love chocolate chip pumpkin cupcakes!! Do you have that recipe?? I know Corinne and I make them lots! If you don't here it is just in case:

1 yellow cake mix
1 small vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chocolate chips (can use mini)

Preheat oven to 350. Place 24 muffin cups in 2 muffin tins. Mix all ingredients together except for chips. Beat at a low speed till moist. Beat 2 min. at high speed. Fold in chips by hand. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full. Bake for 15 – 20 min. Cool and frost with cinnamon/vanilla frosting. (Add cinnamon to a tub of vanilla frosting). Man, these are scrumptious!!

Rex Family said...

Mmmmm. All of these sound so good. I think I'm going to try the pancakes tomorrow. We love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies at our house in the fall.

Alison Ward said...

I, alas, do not like pumpkin, I do not like it in a pan, I do not like it in a can. Maybe I should try it again now that I'm an adult. . . some things do change. You've inspired me. . .

Unknown said...

Gwyn, you have made my mouth water!!!! I LOVE PUMPKIN, but do not like pumpkin pie--weird, I know. Anyway, I just got a recipe for Pumpkin Creme Brulee. I can't wait to try it out. Yummy!!!!!!
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1/4 cup light brown sugar
* 1/4 cup sugar, plus 4 teaspoons
* 8 large egg yolks
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
* 1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Arrange 8 (1/2-cup) ramekins or custard cups in a large metal baking pan.

In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Bring to a bare simmer over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat.

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until frothy and lemon-colored. Slowly add 3/4 cup of the hot cream mixture, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture to the remaining hot cream, and whisk. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin, and whisk until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Divide among the prepared custard cups.

Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake until the custards are just set in the center but not stiff, 45 minutes to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours or overnight.

Sprinkle each custard with 1/2 teaspoon of the remaining sugar. Using a kitchen torch, caramelize the sugar. (Alternately, preheat the broiler, and broil until the sugar melts and caramelizes, watching closely to avoid burning and rotating the cups, about 1 to 2 minutes.) Place on small dessert plates and serve.

Miranda said...

I too am not all that fond of pumpkin stuff. But I unabashedly stole this from allrecipes.com.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Downeast-Maine-Pumpkin-Bread/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 2/3 cup water
* 3 cups white sugar
* 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Andrea Holley said...

Here's a link to an awesome pumpkin recipe on my blog for pumpkin roll that I posted last November. I made one today - so good!

http://pinkraspberry.blogspot.com/2007/11/pumpkin-goodness.html

gwyn said...

Thanks for all the great recipes! We'll make a believer out of you yet, Ali. :) We may be trying a whole lot of pumpkin around here soon. Perhaps I should post about my other holiday food love next... eggnog!

Alan said...

Surely you'll attend the 16th annual Egg Nog Jubilee at Darren & Tricia's...

the design boss said...

Carved!! Just kidding. I love a good pumpkin roll. I will have to get out the recipe. I also tried a pumpkin icecream the other day. I don't know how I felt about that one. It was almost like eating pumpkin pie before it was cooked.

Andrea Holley said...

We had those pumpkin pancakes for dinner last night and they were really good. Even Tate ate them and he is super picky so it's a winner!

Rachel said...

Gwyn, anyone who shares recipes is on my must-read list! Thanks, I'm excited to try these out. Pumpkin is one of my favorite flavors, but I also can't seem to stomach it the rest of the year. Sooo, some of the pumpkin favorites around here include my pumpkin chocolate-chip bread (see blog for recipe). My sis-in-law just passed along a fab pumpkin waffles & buttermilk syrup recipe; I will have to post that, I think. And, we have a great melt-in-your-mouth pumpkin cookie recipe. Perhaps I will just send you these on email. (Remember Rebec's pumpkin roll? I have the recipe & am dying to make it this year.)

gwyn said...

Still more recipes! You guys are great. I do love a good pumpkin roll. And, Rachel, pumpkin waffles? That's sounds wonderful - I'll have to go check out your blog next to see if you posted it. I'm glad I made your "must read" list - I'll have to post more recipes!
Andrea - I'm so glad Tate liked the pancakes! Our kids devoured them, too. We've actually had them twice already. :)
Alan - Do Darren and Tricia jubilate, too? Oh, I will definitely have to bring this up with them. "Darren, why this jubilee?" Have you heard about Darren's recent reason to celebrate? You should give him a call...