Friday, May 8, 2009

home again

I know this is a little delayed, but not only has it been a busy week since I got home, but I also managed to delete this entire post with one key stroke when I originally typed it on Thursday! Not a good day, I'm telling you. So I'll try it again.

So, my flight home went well. Sam was good, but not nearly as good as he had been on the way over. He had woken up that morning with dried boogers all over his face, which is never a good sign. So I'm sure he was coming down with something and just not feeling well. (Let me take this moment to apologize to my brother and my sister's families whose children spent a great deal of time with Sam last week. I hope your kids aren't sick!) Mostly, he was just tired and refused to be entertained for more than three minutes at a time. And to show he was done with my meager efforts to amuse him, he would launch himself wildly on to the passenger next to me. Not surprisingly, I didn't get her name this time.

The last 15 minutes of the flight were the worst. By this time, Sam had decided he was totally done with air travel and started to complain. As we were descending, he started this panicked, hysterical laughing that didn't let up until we pulled up to the gate. It was very loud, but at least sort of funny. Well, at least for the first few minutes. We were both pretty glad to get off the plane.

I have to say, though, that the trip surprised me. I honestly didn't think that traveling with an baby could possibly resemble a vacation. I had pictured my arms aching from having held Sam all day every day because there was no one to trade off with. I had pictured getting up at night to coax my unpredictable sleeper back to bed, hoping that he wouldn't wake up the rest of the house. I had thought there would be no time for fun with Sam around, but I was so wrong. My trip was so much fun and such a needed break.

First of all, Sam was his usual affable, cheerful little self the whole time. The new places and faces and busy schedule didn't phase him at all. He especially loved being around his cousins. He slept great at night and took naps wherever we were, something that still eludes him here at home. And after he went to bed at night, there was time for relaxing and talking and Cafe Rio. I even got to see a movie one night! In the theater!

But the other reason why this trip was so great was that I really fell in love with my Sam all over again. He so rarely spends one-on-one time with me, it was just so wonderful to rediscover my sweet little guy and enjoy his budding personality. Just the little things were so nice, like being able to nurse him quietly in the morning and then read stories together afterward, instead of trying to feed him in the hustle of our usual school day mornings. I had no idea that I needed this quiet time with my little guy, but I really did. And I think he did, too.

When I got back home, I already had several voicemails and emails about YW stuff waiting for me. My girls - bless their hearts, I was so happy to see them - asked me what was for dinner within an hour of my arriving home. In no time at all, I was back in the saddle again. And it's good to be back. But I'm glad I could take this little honeymoon with Sammy.

2 comments:

Faith said...

Sammy was SUCH a champ! What a sweet little guy. It was fantastic having you guys here. You (and the rest of the clan) are welcome anytime.

Rachel said...

What a sweet post! I love that you & Sam had a little honeymoon. I was away from my girls (all of them) for TWO whole days in April for my JC reunion. I was mournful the entire week before, but the minute I settled in on the plane with my book, my heart lightened and I suddenly was excited for my little "break". And it was good! Not too long.
Isn't it hard to come back to all those voicemails? Church . . . . :)