Thursday, May 13, 2010

graphic novel for the fruit snack crowd


Under the influence of my much-cooler-than-me older brothers, I read a lot of graphic novels growing up. Superhero-y ones, funny ones, poignant ones, scary ones. They all taught me that a really great book can also have a lot of really great pictures.

I was really excited when I discovered that Shannon Hale has co-written two graphic novels with her husband, Dean, illustrated by Nathan Hale (no relation. Weird coincidence!) I really like Shannon Hale and have read most of her books. For the uninitiated, Shannon Hale is an LDS author of teen young adult literature who can really write! (No offense intended, Stephenie - I'm pretty sure you know it's true.) She is very talented and writes mostly fairy-tale, fantasy inspired stories about courageous young girls. With my current obsession with Newberys, you may be interested to know that her Princess Academy was a Newbery Honor in 2007. Street cred!

I checked out Rapunzel's Revenge from the library on Saturday after my sister-in-law encouraged me to (thanks, Jerilyn!) I fully intended to read it myself. But before I had reached page 15, Eve had absconded with it to her room and wasn't seen for the rest of the afternoon. So I can't give a complete review, but the first 15 pages were great - funny and exciting with pretty decent art. But Eve has read it through several times and refuses to relinquish it which I take to be a satisfactory review. The sequel, Calamity Jack, is on hold at the library.

I was happy to discover not only a new great book for Eve, but also a whole new genre to introduce her to. It seems like it would be a good book to persuade a reluctant reader. But I can't tell you for sure until I finally read it for myself...

5 comments:

Jer said...

That's awesome that Eve swiped it! Hopefully you'll get a chance with it soon, too.

If Eve is looking for more graphic novels, she also might like the BabyMouse series--they're graphic novels "showcasing the trials and tribulations of elementary school." (From Jennifer Holm's website, the co-author of the series.) I haven't read them, but Shannon Hale recommends them on her blog.

Mary said...

That looks very fun!

I just wanted to comment on your Oregon fun fact on the sidebar. I grew up near Mt. Hood and that picture makes me homesick. And my little sister also called it Mountain Hood. The end :)

Mary said...

p.s. I also meant to say that I love Shannon Hale. She is one of my favorite juvenile fiction authors. Her books are just lovely. However, I have not been a fan of her adult fiction. It seems like she's trying too hard...

Ken said...

Eve is probably about the right age for Jeff Smith's Bone books, which are out in color from Scholastic now.

Also, Kazu Kabuishi's Amulet books are super-fun, though only the first two have been released.

gwyn said...

Mary - I think of you everytime I see the sign to Hood River on I5. Windsurfing capital of the world! And I've only read Austenland so far, but I agree that her YA stuff is better.

Ken - Bone is a great idea! I loved those. The pictures are so cute.