Friday, April 8, 2011

red tape factories rejoice!

Sitting on my sunny porch, watching Sam shovel his trucks through the wood chips while my just-barely-blooming tulips nod in the breeze, it's hard to remember that I am supposed to be stressed about something. But I am:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110408/ap_on_bi_ge/us_spending_showdown

It's never a good sign when you type "government" into Google and it immediately - and helpfully - adds "shutdown" for you. I was very much peeved by the following quote from a Fox News article: (I should know better than to click a Fox News link, but I couldn't help myself!)

Should Congress fail to reach a budget and non-essential federal workers are forced to stay home as a much ballyhooed federal government shutdown goes into effect at midnight Saturday -- don't tell the Obama administration, which apparently sees nearly everyone as essential.

Yes, museums and national parks will shutter. Yes, about 800,000 people will be on the standby list, unable to use government-provided BlackBerries and cell phones.


Really? Jared has a government-issued Blackberry? And he works for a museum?! I hardly know that man anymore, I tell you! What will really happen is thousands of decent, non-tax-wasting federal employees will be forced to stay at home while their work emails get clogged, their desks pile up with unfinished projects, and their bank accounts deplete.

But do not fear, American public! Your Congress person will not be forced to suffer such indignities. Their paychecks will continue to be cut. I have a few choice words about which federal employees I consider essential: the ones who are currently at their desks frantically trying to finish as much work as they can before midnight tonight or the ones munching on government-provided sandwiches and effectively stymieing the democratic process? Hmmmmmm...such a hard choice.

2 comments:

Chalen said...

know the feeling, Nate works for the DOD. Friday, he was deterined to be essential. However, he has time off scheduled for next week and all time off and sick days will be taken as leave without pay. Basically, if you don't show up for work, you don't get paid. We will be better off than some, but it still makes me mad. So thank goodness Congress resolved itself on the issue. Although we really needed to cut trillions of dollars, not just billions.

Faith said...

I saw on the news that a budget was passed-- does that mean that Jared's job is okay now, or is it still affected? I hope that things work out for you guys. How frustrating!