I need help. I met with my diabetes counselor today and she said I was doing great... which is fantastic news! Except it means I have to keep doing what I'm doing for another 6 weeks. And when you are pregnant and encountering pictures like the following on pinterest, it is easy to feel like the world is conspiring against you:


Cake batter pancakes? Sopapilla cheesecake? Cookie dough brownies?! Seriously, people. Where are you even finding these alleged recipes?
So my dilemma is breakfast. Let's say you can have no carbs for breakfast. Zero. Because morning is the worst time of day for my insulin-resisting body to process carbs. Also, no fruit... because they have sugar, too. That leaves eggs. Let's say that you have eaten eggs every morning for the past few weeks and you are finding that you want to cry yourself back to sleep every morning at the thought of eating another egg for breakfast. You can also have bacon and sausage, but I just can't make a whole meal out of bacon. I think that might be worse than eating carbs.
So what else is out there?? I know there must be something that I am just not thinking of. Any great ideas? Anyone? I am open to suggestions, with or without eggs.
In other news, my growth ultrasound last week was pretty good, but they still want me to come in weekly so they can keep an eye on things. It's going to be a long six weeks.
10 comments:
I was reading another friends blog who had gestational diabetes. She said her favorite breakfast was an english muffin broiled to melt a slice of cheese on top and then topped with a slice of tomato. I thought the english muffin would be too many carbs? I actually have tried this, and it is delicious! What about a scramble with country style potatoes...still eggs, but in a different combination?
Good luck, miss you tons!
Parfaits with fruit and greek yogurt, breakfast burritos (tortillas, eggs, salsa, peppers), frittata with veggies, granola rich in coconut and nuts.
Can you have any carbs at all, like unrefined? Because you could do steel cut oats with nuts. I have a great overnight crockpot recipe that I use for Sunday mornings before Jason's bishopric meeting--but maybe that's too many carbs...
Otherwise, I like the breakfast burrito idea, or even a veggie scramble/fritatta. Or omelets. With mushrooms and spinach and cheese. Yum. If you can do unrefined carbs, Oroweat makes a really good whole wheat english muffin...
Hmmm..Cottage cheese comes to mind, also... Good luck! I know it's hard!
Just read your post again with the zero carbs, so guess that blows my oatmeal idea out of the water--sorry. :(
Gestational diabetes is no fun! I had it with my last pregnancy and wow it was tough. I was allowed 15 grams of carbs in the morning, so I would make french toast by soaking 1 piece of low carb bread in a beaten egg with some cinnamon and having it with sugar free syrup.
If you aren't allowed any carbs at all in the mornings (which is totally mean) I'd go for maybe a crustless quiche or treat breakfast like lunch and have grilled chicken and veggies.
I'm sorry for all this. I remember how hard it was. I thought I would scream if I ate another string cheese or boiled egg. Hang in there! Be sure to have your hubby bring you a big piece of chocolate cake when you have that sweet baby in your arms! (I think Adrian brought me cake, gummy bears, and pasta that first night in the hospital.:))
Thanks for all the awesome comments, guys! Sadly, I will have to wait on your crockpot oatmeal, Jerilyn, but it sounds delicious. And even fruit with greek yogurt and walnuts has tripped me up, Miranda...lame, I know. Curse you, fruit!
But veggie omelets sound yummy... and I am just about to make a crustless quick for tomorrow morning, Jenni! You are a mind reader! Also, I will have to hunt around harder for low carb bread, especially now that I'm in this for the long haul.
Thanks for all the support - I will tell Jared to have that piece of chocolate cake ready. :)
Ok, I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but the way you have to eat sounds a lot like the south beach diet. This lady has tons of good south beach recipes. Maybe you'll find something on her page. Good luck! http://www.kalynskitchen.com/
Ginger, I just saw this comment - that site is so awesome! It will totally save my bacon...which just so happens to be something I can eat at the moment. :) So glad to see you on my blog...do you still have one? Can you send me the link?
I had gestational diabetes with my last baby. I know you said no carbs in the morning, but what worked for me was 1 piece of whole wheat toast (I think the brand is Nature's Own? Not too many carbs with that brand.) with a piece of cheese or with peanut butter. I was pretty sick of eggs by the end of it too! I could just barely get away with 3/4 a McDonald's egg mcmuffin for a weekend breakfast treat - not sure if that would work for you. Almonds are a great snack. I ate a lot of salads and quesadillas on low carb tortillas for lunch. Good Luck.
I hate how much sugar is in yogurt, so I've been eating whole milk ricotta cheese lately, which is surprisingly sweet considering it has virtually no carbs. Give it a try!
Post a Comment