Friday, January 27, 2012

i got newberied!

It happened again!


The 2012 Newbery winner was announced yesterday. One more Newbery added to my list! And I thought I was doing so awesome. I only have 2 1/2 more books to go... well, now 3 1/2: The High King by Lloyd Alexander (half way through), Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt (on hold at the library), and Lincoln: A Photobiography (checked out today.) And now Dead End in Norvelt.

My plan is to have them all read before the baby is born in about a month...I can totally do that, right? Assuming I get the new one before then. I am number six on the hold list, so we'll see. As for the reviews, I am woefully behind but I vow to catch up even if I have type one-handed with a baby in the other.

To those of you who are familiar with Dicey's Song, how important is it that I read Homecoming first? I know it's technically the second book in the series, but I am on a tight time schedule here, people! I read all five Lloyd Alexanders to get to The High King but I think that was kind of necessary. Also, I just can't get enough of names I can't pronounce! I'm looking at you, Eilonwy.

Totally unrelated, but I want to give a shout out to the nice employee at Dairy Queen who tried to give me a free Dilly Bar when I bought some for the kids today. After I politely refused and explained why, he came out a few minutes later with a sugar-free orange creamsicle that had clearly spent a lot of time in the back of the freezer. I like him. He's so much nicer than the lady at Target who told me I was huge.

5 comments:

Faith said...

Aww...you deserve all the sugar-free creamsicles in the world!

And congratulations on nearing the end of your Newbery project. That's awesome!

Jer said...

Yay Newberies! And sugar-free treats!

If you need a quick recap of Homecoming, I've read it. It's pretty hefty. I don't think it's entirely necessary to read it first, but I don't remember how much she summarizes what happened in Homecoming at the beginning of Dicey's Song.

Miranda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miranda said...

Bunch of orphans, abandoned by their mother at a mall, wander around New England, eventually end up with their grandmother who thinks they will grow Christmas trees. You don't have to read Homecoming.

Tricia said...

Hello Friend!!!

I KNOW you can read those Newberies before that cute newcomer arrives!! You are so close. SOOO sorry to read about your diabetes! What about bananas? I know it is a fruit but I don't think of it as a sugar--bananas with peanut butter? protein. Steak :)