Wednesday, January 30, 2013

sayonara, kawasaki!

I mentioned this briefly a few posts ago, but James was hospitalized back in October for a little thing called Kawasaki disease.  It is rare and vague - exactly the kind of thing you want your infant diagnosed with. 


Do you find this picture alarming?  You should!  Babies in hospitals all hooked up to stuff is alarming!


Lest you think it was all terrible, we did spend alot of time happily playing. With a giant IV coming out of our head.

Anyway, he received the treatment and all is well, but he has had several follow-up labs and echocardiograms and whatnot.  (Because apparently this rare and vague disease can do serious and permanent damage to your heart.)  But yesterday was his final meeting with the pediatric cardiologist and his final EKG and his final echocardiogram.  And everything looks perfect, so hooray! 

While I have tried not to make a huge deal out of this - because, really, moms can't live in a constant state of panic and worry - I am so, so relieved.  And so grateful that James was able to receive the care and treatment he needed. Nothing like having your baby snatched from the clutches of coronary damage to make you realize your blessings and be grateful for them.

And while I am so glad that James' little heart is sturdy and strong, I am also hugely relieved not to have to do another echo with him.  It is very difficult to get your baby to lay still on his back for an hour while he gets an ultrasound of his chest.  It requires much wrestling and baby talk and feeding of cheerios.

 
 
 
Pardon the pun, James, but it did my heart good to see your little heart beating so strong and steady in the ultrasound yesterday. We love you, Jamie boy!  

3 comments:

Miranda said...

Rare and vague diseases suck the big one. Since this is an autoimmune disorder, is there an increased chance of another AD popping up in the future? (exactly what you want to think about I'm sure)

gwyn said...

Well, they said there are not really any long term effects as long as his coronaries looked good, which they did. They just said to keep our eyes open for repeat symptoms and to make sure he maintains a heart-healthy lifestyle. So I guess I should stop mixing twinkies into his cereal.

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry! How scary! I had never heard of Kawasaki disease until a little 4 year old in our ward was diagnosed last month. I am SO glad your little James has no lasting side-effects from it. Hugs to you!