Thursday, March 5, 2009

eleanor's special day

Our little Nora turned four last Saturday. Because of other activities we had going on in the late afternoon and evening, we decided to celebrate with a birthday lunch instead of the usual dinner. I thought it was quite successful! It gave her all day to enjoy her new gifts and she even got to watch a new movie as a movie night treat. We might have to do it this way more often.

We grilled burgers, ate blue Jello cubes, and had a princess castle cake (thanks to my friend Tricia for letting me borrow her kit!) And every gift was wrapped in pink, a four year old's dream come true! Thanks to all the family for the lovely gifts - she loved having the UPS guy bring her packages. :)



I really tried to get her to take those stickers off her head. Here they are, preserved for posterity!




Barbie movies! Hooray!


Eleanor has always been our blonde pixie, a little wisp of a thing with flossy hair and a tiny voice. But since Christmas, she has shot up several inches and, ever since her ear surgery, she has lost that soft, baby edge to her voice. When I checked on her that night after she went to bed, I couldn't believe how big she had grown, all legs and arms all over the place! It made this mommy a little sentimental to see this new big girl Eleanor. As much as I wish I could freeze time and keep my little ones just as they are, it is a good reminder to enjoy each precious moment with them and each phase as they grow. And, as I always tell them, no matter how big they get, they will always be my babies.

Happy birthday, sweet Eleanor!

9 comments:

~ Amy said...

That cake is awesome! Happy Birthday Nora!

Jer said...

Wow, that cake really is amazing! I'm glad Nora had a great birthday--I can't believe how much bigger she looks in the pictures since I've seen her, too! She is looking so much more grown-up. Happy Birthday, Eleanor!

gwyn said...

You guys are so nice. Really, the cake was nothing that special. It was my friend's castle kit that really dressed it up! Those plastic towers were awesome. All I did was frost the tops and roll them in sprinkle and - voila! - a castle! So much easier than trying to make my own out of ice cream cones.

Faith said...

That cake really is great. It looks like Nora had a great birthday.

I'm glad that your computer is up and running again.

Jenni said...

Wow, what a cake!! That baby picture of her is precious!! Happy happy birthday to Eleanor!!:)

Alison Ward said...

Amazing cake!! I was just looking at Maci today thinking the same thing, man she's growing so fast! My kids love getting packages in the mail too, makes it extra special. I'm glad you're back on the grid, I missed the updates!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Nora!!! I can't believe she is 4!!! Where does the time go?? I LOVE her cake. You did an amazing job. Where did your friend find the kit...Abbey saw the cake and now wants a cake just like that!!!

gwyn said...

Thanks, Melissa! It's actually a Wilton kit, but I'm not sure where she found it. I know craft stores carry a lot of Wilton stuff, but I've seen quite a few things on ebay, too. I remember the awesome castle cake you made when Abbey turned..4, I think? You were a real woman and did it without a kit! :)

gwyn said...

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Romantic-Castle-Cake-Set/dp/B000PBYHX0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1236365946&sr=8-1

Needless to say, the photo with the actual kit puts my little cake to shame!