Thursday, August 6, 2009

best road trip ever!

We got back from Seattle last night after spending a wonderful week visiting with family and enjoying the gorgeous summer weather (after the heat wave broke, that is.) I can report more on our fun trip later when I get all the photos sorted out, but I just had to say that our drives up and back couldn't have been more miraculous!

It's about 8ish hours to Seattle from here and that is an intimidating distance with a 7, 4, and 1 year old. Each way, we only stopped once to eat and let the kids run around a park. The girls entertained themselves perfectly well in the back of the van, but Sam was truly the wonder baby here. There was only one brief crying jag each direction, but the rest of the time he spent happily eating snacks, playing with toys, or napping. ?!??!?! Is this the same baby who freaks out if it takes longer than 7 min 23 seconds to get to the grocery store? The same baby who screamed almost all the way to Crater Lake just a few weeks ago? Wonder of wonders! It made the trip so much more relaxed and enjoyable. Makes me want to undertake more road trips in the future.

A few items to which I attribute the success of our drive:
  • twizzlers (they are very aerodynamic - I threw many of them to the girls in the back row.)
  • Junie B. Jones books on CD. Sometimes I'd turn the speakers on in the front, they were so funny. "Wowee wow wow, I tell you!"
  • the awesome noisy steering wheel toy that I borrowed from a friend for this trip. (Thanks Aimee!) This toy would drive me nuts anywhere else, but was bliss compared to Sam's fussing.
  • pink and white circus animal cookies
  • new coloring books
  • the toilet from the girls' doll house. For whatever reason, this provided endless entertainment for Sam
  • peanut butter M&Ms (those were for me!)

It's good to be home now and enjoying all the fond memories and dirty laundry we brought home with us. I just announced to the girls that we are heading out to the grocery store in a few minutes, which met with much whining. "We have no food!" I explained. "Well, why can't we live on gummy worms and rice?" Eve asked. Hmmm, tempting but no. Off to get food!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

okay I totally can relate. When we drove the 9 hours to Virginia in March. Junie B. Jones was loved by all!!

Chalen said...

I don't know if they are still doing it, but Wendy's had audio books as there kids meal toy. There were 4 of the magic treehouse books. My kids like these as much as Junie B.

Jenni said...

So glad your drive went well! Gummy worms and rice sounds good to me!:)