I really hate planning things. Well, I should take that back. I like planning some things. Like family picnics and how I will watch TV tonight before going to bed. Those kind of things.
But sometimes I am forced to plan things, usually stuff for the youth at church. And I just endure that the best I can. But I really, really hate when I have to plan more than one thing at a time. On my schedule right now: a church youth rafting trip this Saturday for which I am solely responsible for all the food, Eve's birthday next Wednesday (with a long-debated party), a youth camping trip for the girls that I am single-handedly planning and attending, and Eve's baptism with accompanying family and activities. All good things on their own, but I don't really feel like tackling all of them in a 14 day period.
Eve wasn't even supposed to have a "friend" party this year. She had a rather time and labor-intensive party last year that I am still recovering from. "But I am turning 8 and that is a big deal!" she wheedled. So when she asked if she could invite a friend to go swimming with us on her birthday, I conceded. And then when that turned into asking a few more friends, I gave in again. But when it turned out that one of her friends broke her arm and can't swim, we had to find a Plan B. And I really didn't want to rent out the local spray park or the make-your-own-ceramics party place for a girl who is getting a few rather large birthday gifts (hello, shiny new bicycle) and WASN'T EVEN SUPPOSED TO HAVE A PARTY IN THE FIRST PLACE!
So we are having a party here. An arts and crafts party. It promises to be very time and labor-intensive.
Two days after this party, I leave for a camping trip with 10 teenage girls.
The moral to this story is to tell your child a definite NO when they ask if they can "just invite one friend" over for their birthday. You never know how it will snowball. Before you know it, you will be making a 6-layer rainbow cake, filling goodie bags, and figuring out how to turn shrinky dinks into keychains. You have been warned.
5 comments:
yikes! The cake isn't my fault is it? I just thought it looked so cute! Wish I were there to help out.
Mindy, I am actually looking forward to making the cake (don't tell!) I just hope mind turns out as magical looking.
Mindy, I am actually looking forward to making the cake (don't tell!) I just hope mind turns out as magical looking.
Wow, that sounds stressful! Good thing you're not planning to have any noisy, urine-soaked house guests in a couple weeks!
No way, Ken! You guys are the reward at the end. We already have a urine-soaked house guest who lives here permanently, so we are not easily put off.
Post a Comment