Monday, September 15, 2008

roughing it is not so rough after all

I learned this weekend that camping with two small children and an infant is actually easier than being at home with two small children and an infant. Here's why:
  • The girls were endlessly entertained. Not I single "Can I watch a show?" or "Can I play computer?"
  • Everyone was allowed to get as dirty as they pleased and I didn't have to care.
  • I didn't have to spend the evening picking up the disaster that is my living room and family room after everyone went to bed.
  • There were friends everywhere! Because it was a church campout, there were adults all over the place that I could chat with. I love talking to my kids - most of the time -but it was great to not have to for a few hours.
  • Likewise, the kids didn't have to talk to me either. They had all sorts of buddies around. In fact, Eve disappeared shortly after we got to the campsite, running of with some giggly friends, and I have absolutely no evidence that she was even there because she is absent from all the pictures we took.
  • Jared made dinner. Thanks, portable grill! Oh, and Jared!
  • Brushing teeth is much more fun in the woods than it is in your bathroom. No bribery necessary to get the girls to get ready for bed.
  • I ate several roasted marshmallows - not as many as I had hoped, but still more than I would have eaten at home! (And roasted Starbursts, too - our bishop's idea.)
  • And the best of all... Sam slept all night! In a tent with all five of us, sleeping on a rather rocky stretch of ground, I had the best night's sleep in two months! Hooray!*

*Offer not valid in all locations. Like, anywhere in my house.

All in all, a great trip. Sadly, not many pictures were taken because my hands were mostly full of Sam the whole time and, when they weren't, I was wiping faces or setting up, etc. Here's our fabulous tent and two of it's occupants:
Jared snagged our huge tent at a garage sale in Maryland for like $30 (Jared says it might have been $40 - either way, an awesome deal.) It comfortably fit all five of us and has some nifty features, like a little two-way pocket for your shoes. Amazing! We love it.

I have always wanted to be a camping family, mostly because Jared has fond memories of camping as a kid. I, however, grew up in a family that went camping not at all, so it just doesn't come naturally. But this last weekend's adventure showed me that it can be fun and easy and even the clean up isn't all that bad when you make your kids help. Go camping!

Eleanor, getting as dirty as she pleases.

4 comments:

Taliatha said...

Thank you, I need some camping encouragement. Although I think you may have lucked out on this trip. So many bad things can happen camping, I won't list them all. My children seem to be attracted to the dancing flames and the piping hot Dutch oven.

BECKY said...

I'm so glad to hear that it was good experience. Dave will be glad that I heard some positive's on camping- it kills him that I have only gone once with him since we've been married and never since Jason was born. Maybe now I'll be brave enough to try too!!

Chalen said...

Finally!! I have been trying to convince moms of this for years!! We love to go camping, especially with one or two other families with kids. It is so much fun and everyone is entertained. Plus, everyone needs to get grungy every once in awhile, and why not do it while camping? It gives you a great excuse for the dirt, grime, stickiness, and perhaps a slight smell. Glad you guys had fun.

crush said...

Glad that it went well! Your bishop must be super cool, because we thought we were the only ones who knew about the starbursts! We've been doing it for years! We just did it the other night in the canyon...and I even posted about it on my blog..funny.