Tuesday, September 30, 2008

national geographic meets sweet valley high

Eve came home from school last Thursday with a skinned knee.

Me: What happened to your knee?

Eve: Oh, Logan tried to pick me up but then he dropped me and I scraped my knee.

Me: He tried to pick you up? Why?

Eve: Yes... (pauses to think) I think he was trying to mate.

(I was very good here and didn't laugh. Yet.)

Eve: My teacher explained to me that boys do things like that when they want a girl's attention.

And so it begins. Yikes! I think Eve's been reading too much of her Childcraft encyclopedia! In other news, Logan missed 3rd recess AND had to go to the office. Apparently Eve's school doesn't mess around when boys try to mate!

And last night at dinner -

Eve: (sounding all annoyed) Today Ethan and Tyler kept chasing me and Abby at recess.

Me: That's just how boys say they want to be your friend.

Eve: Oh. Why can't they just say it with their mouths?

Wise words, Eve. I had no real answer for her. I just told her she and Abby should turn right around and chase them back. If I remember elementary school correctly, they'll run for their lives!

10 comments:

Alison Ward said...

Oh my that is priceless! I'm very impressed that you didn't bust up laughing. Cute Eve, boys never do learn do they!

Jennie Z said...

What a wise girl! I wouldn't worry about her too much. Funny that she thought they were trying to mate!

Mendy said...

These little anecdotes are awesome, Gwyn! I love that your little one calmly reported a boy trying to "mate" with her. (Serious chuckling going on in my kitchen right now!)

the design boss said...

That is hilarious!! Thanks for the laughs Eve!! The differences between men and women are so apparant at such a young age!

Lynette said...

That is hilarous....mate? she said that!!! Funny girl!

luann said...

Oh the joys of children! I love it! I hate scrapped knees, though... they make me feel all woosy. Megan has gotten a lot lately. I don't know who is in worse shape after the whole cleaning and bandaging ordeal. Pretty much we both need to lie down and take it easy for a while.

Andrea Holley said...

That's hilarious! She'll love these stories when she's our age.

Deb said...

oh, classic 1st grade moments! i LOVE that "he was trying to mate" line. and tell eve the boys never stop acting goofy to get girls attention. she better get used to it.... :)

Jenni said...

Oh my goodness I am laughing!! Eve is such a cutie!! Boys are weird and never really stop being weird!;)

BECKY said...

That's so stinking funny!! I'm still laughing!!