But I just wanted to write a quick post about Eve's new best friend, B. B. is a boy - a fact not evident from his initial - and one of the nicest boys I have ever met. He lives three doors down from us and he and Eve have been fast friends since they were put in the same class at school. I can't tell you how many fun afternoons have begun with B. knocking on our door, munching the remains of his after-school-snack, asking if Eve can come play. His parents are about our age, have three kids, share similar values, and are super cool, to boot! It's been great to make such good friends in our neighborhood.
Some of Eve and B.'s mutual interests include:
- Legos
- Picking and eating pears out of our backyard
- Running in circles in our cul-de-sac
- Building forts
Right now Eve and B. are sitting in a fort in our living room, eating as much Christmas candy as they were able to smuggle in before I caught them.
The other day Eve missed school because of a stomach bug. B. came knocking that afternoon and I had to explain that she was sick and couldn't play. About 15 minutes later, he came back with this:

I'm sure B.'s mom helped because I seriously doubt those stickers belonged to B. or his two brothers. But, help or not, it is still adorable.
I feel like it's kind of like Fox and the Hound - you know they can't stay best friends forever. Eventually their peer groups will make that clear. But maybe they will manage to stay good friends - I sure hope they do. B. is a lot more sensible than some of the little girls Eve has played with. We'll see what happens. In the mean time, I will just keep hiding the Christmas candy when the fort goes up.
4 comments:
That is cute! I hope they stay friends cause he sounds like a sweet boy!
I can just picture it, your precocious Eve playing with this sweet neighborhood boy. Love the Fox & Hound analogy. And his get-well card. I love that you live on a circle. Both Chris & I did growing up & we think that is the epitome of childhood fun.
Although Anna counts some friends as "best" friends, we don't play with them on a regular basis (my deep dark secret is that I'm a hermit with my girls). Part of me hopes she will find a friend like this when she starts K next year. Part of me mourns the day my two girls look outside each other for friendship. Is motherhood always made up of these two halves, hopeful for change & regretting it?
I don't know. Alex and I have been best friends since sixth grade, and that's the age where isn't not "cool" to hang out with dumb boys and cootie ridden girls.
that is awesome! and who knows? maybe it will last. we have a girl and a boy on our street who are still friends and they're 12 now. i'll let you know what happens when adolescence hits full-on. :)
Post a Comment