
Eleanor is having tubes put in her ears tomorrow morning. She has a chronic fluid problem and, while it hasn't produced a lot of infections, it has really affected her hearing and I'm excited for her to hear clearly again. Can you imagine hearing everything as if your fingers were in your ears? No wonder the poor thing gets frustrated. I'm wondering if she'll be shocked by how loud everything is. Especially Eve, who has chronic volume problems.
For the curious among you, "getting tubes" is when the doctor makes a small incision in your eardrum (or tympanic membrane!) to drain the built up fluid. Then they insert a plastic tube about the size of a pinhead to help ventilate and drain any more fluid. The tubes stay in for around 6 to 18 months before they fall out, leaving a very tiny hole behind them.
Jared and I took Eleanor on a tour of the Surgery Center yesterday (I wish they would stop calling it "surgery." The whole procedure, once she is under, takes 10 minutes. Saying "surgery" makes it sound so involved and scary.) I think it was good for all of us to take the tour - Jared and I were just as nervous as Nora, I think. The nurses were all so kind and made a point of remembering her name. I think they will take good care of her tomorrow. Eleanor was pretty anxious and clung to Jared the whole time, but she was intrigued by the Tigger gown and the promise of popsicles and a new teddy bear at the end.
I can't pretend I'm not frightened by the thought of her "going under." It'll happen in the OR, where Jared and I are not allowed, and I just hope she isn't scared to be alone. I've never been under anaesthetic before, but I can only imagine it is an alarming and disorienting sensation. I just wish I could go with her and hold her hand, help her feel safe. At least it will just be a few minutes before she is in my arms again.
So wish us luck tomorrow and keep us in your prayers. The logistics alone are daunting - Jared takes Nora to the center at 7:30 while I get Eve ready for school and put her on the bus, feed Sam and drop him off at my friend's house, and then race to meet Jared and the patient. Have you had tubes? Do your kids have tubes? If you have any words of wisdom to pass our way, we're all ears. Ears! Ha, ha!
For the curious among you, "getting tubes" is when the doctor makes a small incision in your eardrum (or tympanic membrane!) to drain the built up fluid. Then they insert a plastic tube about the size of a pinhead to help ventilate and drain any more fluid. The tubes stay in for around 6 to 18 months before they fall out, leaving a very tiny hole behind them.
Jared and I took Eleanor on a tour of the Surgery Center yesterday (I wish they would stop calling it "surgery." The whole procedure, once she is under, takes 10 minutes. Saying "surgery" makes it sound so involved and scary.) I think it was good for all of us to take the tour - Jared and I were just as nervous as Nora, I think. The nurses were all so kind and made a point of remembering her name. I think they will take good care of her tomorrow. Eleanor was pretty anxious and clung to Jared the whole time, but she was intrigued by the Tigger gown and the promise of popsicles and a new teddy bear at the end.
I can't pretend I'm not frightened by the thought of her "going under." It'll happen in the OR, where Jared and I are not allowed, and I just hope she isn't scared to be alone. I've never been under anaesthetic before, but I can only imagine it is an alarming and disorienting sensation. I just wish I could go with her and hold her hand, help her feel safe. At least it will just be a few minutes before she is in my arms again.
So wish us luck tomorrow and keep us in your prayers. The logistics alone are daunting - Jared takes Nora to the center at 7:30 while I get Eve ready for school and put her on the bus, feed Sam and drop him off at my friend's house, and then race to meet Jared and the patient. Have you had tubes? Do your kids have tubes? If you have any words of wisdom to pass our way, we're all ears. Ears! Ha, ha!
11 comments:
Hey Gwyn! Jason had tubes put in last year and it has been heaven! Instead of oral antibiotics he can have ear drops for ear infections. You can always tell when they have in infection because they drain stuff... Anyway, it has been wonderful. The "surgery" was super fast and the recovery nothing! Jason was running around after a half an hour of being home. When he came out of the anesthetic he was screaming and crying inconsolably, but that is a normal reaction for kids. Just stay calm and try to comfort. He was also super flushed but was all in all just fine. Once he calmed down and everything wore off he was fine. I wish I would have been a little more prepared for the waking up part, so that's why I'm telling you the unpleasant part. I hope this helps! Good luck! Everything will be great and it's totally worth it!
We'll be praying for sweet Eleanor...good luck!
Griffin got tubes when he was just 16 months old. It was stressful for me as a parent but the entire process was so fast. We walked back with him and dropped him off and it was seriously only like 8 minutes later that the doctor came out to tell us that it went well and he would be in recovery in 20 minutes. Coming out of it is strange for them and they are upset but by the time you are in the car they are asleep again. Griffin slept for 6 straight hours and then felt great. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
I have no experience with ear tubes, but I have been put under several times and let me tell you that it is a fabulously relaxing experience (especially if you're not worried about not waking up - which I doubt she will be). Good luck with your little "procedure" - not surgery - today!
No tubes, but we are the adnoids and tonsile family. Both Abbey and Zack had to go under and both hospitals let Jared go back with them until they "fell asleep" and 10-15 mins later they were in my arms. We will keep you and Nora in our prayers.
She'll (and her poor parents) will be in our prayers. Good luck!
I really hope it went well!! I bet it will be wonderful to be able to hear properly! And I hope her recovery is quick!
I hope it all went well, you guys! Let us know how it turns out, and we'll keep you in our prayers.
Good luck Gwyn! and little Eleanor. I'm sure she'll do fabulously, I have several friends who have gone through this and they're all amazed at how much better the kids can communicate afterwards. So good luck, we'll be thinking of you.
Be glad that you don't have to see them go under. It ripped me apart both times that I have had to put Joe under. The nurses were worried about me because of how emotional I was. Joe has tubes and hasn't had any problems since. Peter will most likely get tubs soon. He has had a ear infection since the beginning of November that won't go away. I hope that she is doing better. She's a trooper!!
Thanks, everyone! You are all such wonderful friends - I really needed all the kind words of support.
Becky - thanks for the heads up on the anaesthesia. I had no idea it could be like that, so it was a life saver to be prepared. I remembered what you had said and stayed calm, so thanks so much.
Ruth - thanks to you, too! It was great to hear that it had all gone smoothly for Griffin. Eleanor had a good long nap, too, and it did wonders.
Melissa - I was totally thinking about little Abbey and her tonsils, the whole time we were getting ready for this! I remembered how it was for you guys and how they had let Jared go back. Part of me wishes I could have, part of me is glad I don't know how it was. I didn't know
Zack had to do it, too - poor guy.
Rebecca - I didn't know Joe got tubes! When was that? It's true what you say about the moms being emotional. This one nurse handed me a big wad of kleenex and told me I would need it. Moms everywhere are the same! :)
Thanks again to all of you - you're the best!
Post a Comment