Friday, April 17, 2009

home depot's kids workshop

I love free stuff. I especially love free stuff when it helps me feel like a good parent who provides fun and enriching opportunities for my children. And this is why I love Home Depot's Kids Workshop. On the first Saturday of every month, Home Depot puts on a free workshop from 9 - 12 where kids can build the project for that day. All tools and materials are provided, along with stickers, cookies, and - best of all - their own orange apron!

We accidentally discovered this a few weeks ago when we walked into Home Depot for some crushed rock and left with two awesome bird houses. The kits are straight forward and go together really easily. And I liked that you don't have an employee hovering over you, but you can take your time with your kids and make it a fun activity to do with them. I think it made Jared swell with pride to see his two girls wielding hammers and screwdrivers and wood glue.

Check out the schedule and see if there is anything your kids might want to make. It's all worth it for the orange apron.







I love the plexiglass back on the birdhouse. You attach it to your window with suction cups (provided, of course) so you can see your little birdie friends build their nests. I'll have to keep you posted on whether or not we get any residents.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Those bird houses are so cute! What fun! I need to do this with my kids!

Rex Family said...

Is Eleanor is wearing a princess dress under her Home Depot apron? She would get along great with my Lauren.

Faith said...

Yay, two more woodworking girls in the family! They are super cute.

Jer said...

What a fun thing to do! Thanks for sharing!