In about 24 hours, me and Sam are flying to Salt Lake to visit family and to go to my sister's baby's blessing. We have finally reached that family size where we must divide and conquer in the travel department: Jared will stay with the girls while me and Sam brave the adventure that is infant air travel. In theory, I'm excited, but the actual details of taveling with a baby are making me nervous.
Planes are such small, personal-space-invading places to take a baby. And my squirmy Sam can barely sit quietly on my lap for one board book, much less an hour and 45 minutes of air travel. What should I do? So far I have almost every Gerber snack that was available for purchase at Target, plus some Teddy Grahams. He is not so much into toys yet, but he does love things that bang and make noise (again, not really welcome behavior on a plane!) Both my flight there and back are conveniently scheduled during nap time, so I'm hoping I'll be able to nurse him to sleep and he'll spend the bulk of the flight that way. I just hope I'm sitting next to a nice understanding grandma who doesn't mind when Sam kicks her or throws cheerios or wipes soggy crackers on her cardigan. Mr. Uptight Business Guy is not usually so understanding about those things.
Well, I'm off to pack and then run to Target (again!) for some last minute stuff. Wish me luck!
5 comments:
Remember to smack any idiots that try to wave books in Sam's face. We're excited to see you! I've got japchae planned!
Hmmm...I've taken E on 4 flights but my sister was with me on all of them so I don't have any advice about flying solo. Even still I usually ended up strapping E in the baby bjorn, standing in the aisle in the back outside of the bathroom, and bouncing him up and down the entire time the set belt light was off.
Even if he struggles, you're never going to see those people again. So don't stress too much.
We're looking forward to seeing you!
Good luck!! I once sat next to what looked like an uptight business man when I had a 7 month old and 5 year old and he was so nice! He made the kids bunnies and roses out of napkins and never made me feel uncomfortable when Ben (the 7 mo old) cried. Hope you sit next to nice people too!!
OOO fun! We took Gavin to Mexico at 4 mo., I think we did the drugging method with benadryl. . . not the most ethical but it works! and the nursing thing will probably work too. Gavin was amazingly good, they'll surprise you, especially when it's in a new and different environment. At least the flight is short! Good luck, have fun. We're headed out in 3 weeks, but have to take the long 2 day drive route :( We might need a whole bottle of Benadryl!
I'm about to take 2 children on a 5 hour plane ride to Utah. Am I crazy? Thankfully, Ben will be with me. I really want to live somewhere in the west so the plane rides home are shorter!
Post a Comment