Wednesday, January 6, 2010

delicious things I ate over Christmas


I ate waaaaaay too many delicious things over Christmas, but one thing that stands out in particular was this Cranberry Trifle we had for Christmas dinner dessert. I've always wanted to try it, but no one else in my family is as fond of cranberries as I am. Luckily, my mother-in-law is, so she promised to help me polish it off. And we did our best, I assure you!

It came together so easily and made a gorgeous dessert. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of it because I was too busy eating it, but it is a beautiful and very simple dessert to put together. And, to make it even better, when Costco was out of pound cake, we decided to make our own and my mother-in-law turned out two perfect loaves of the best pound cake I've ever tried. The sweetness of the cream, the dense pound cake, and the tart, gingery cranberries make for a perfect eating sensation.

Don't worry, I made a chocolate cream pie for the philistines who don't care for cranberries. (Love you, Jared! More trifle for me!)

In case you didn't click on the link, here is the pound cake recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart. I love pound cake and it can be used for so many desserts and it is super easy, so I wanted to be sure I shared it:

Vanilla Pound Cake
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups flour, plus more for pan
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350.
Butter and flour a 6 cup (8 1/2 by 4 1/2) loaf pan.

Beat butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and salt. With mixer on low, gradually add flour beating just until combined (do not overmix.)

Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Tent with foil if it is browning too quickly. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting on wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

Andrea Holley said...

Ooh that sounds good! I love cranberries. Don't you love Everyday Food? It's my favorite magazine.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe of
Vanilla Pound Cake. That is what I exactly want for my birthday. Ihampers.co.uk