Tuesday, January 26, 2010

in which I am a patriot

I voted today! Today was Oregon's mid-year election day and I voted on two important measures for our fair state. Nothing makes me feel quite so American as voting.

Kind of anti-climactic to just drive up to a drop box and drop off my ballots - I wish they handed out stickers at the drop box - but, on the bright side, I may have been on the news. Like I said, these are two fairly significant measures for which many Oregonians are breathlessly awaiting the outcome, so there were some news crews down by the county offices. I recognized a local news commentator doing her spiel right as I pulled up! It was very exciting. I think my arm may have made the evening news. I tried to drop my ballots in the box very elegantly. And patriotically. My arm was experiencing a lot of complicated emotions, I tell you! At any rate, I may be a superstar.




On a slightly less patriotic note, I am a big nerdy fan of many things British. I'm also a big nerdy fan of many things PBS. So imagine my delight when I heard that Masterpiece Theater (I mean, Theatre) was doing Jane Austen's Emma for the next few weeks! Did you see the first part on Sunday? Are you a nerd like me and did you look forward to it all weekend? It did not disappoint, I tell you. Romola Garai is a vivacious and endearing Emma Woodhouse and Jonny Lee Miller is adorable as Highbury's very eligible Mr. Knightly. The sets and costumes are pure eye candy - I felt thoroughly and delightfully transported, just what I want from a good Austen movie.

Sunday was only part one of four, so you can still catch up and enjoy six more blissful hours. I convinced Jared to watch with me, but I neglected to tell him it would be an eight hour commitment. Hopefully, he won't read my blog before this Sunday!

4 comments:

Alison Ward said...

I caught the last hour or so on Sunday, it was really good! Hopefully I can squeeze the other 3 sessions in, no Tivo or anything like that here at the Ward house?! enjoy!

Jenni said...

Ooh ooh I loved the new Emma! Awesome! And I can't wait for this Sunday (and the one after that, and the one after that:)).

Whitmer Family said...

So proud of you for going to vote. I consider myself patriotic right now, because I just spent hours on end filing my taxes. That counts, right?

Rachel said...

Hi Gwyn! I am making some blog rounds & yours is always must-read. I've been catching up on a bunch of posts & loving it! I had NO idea BBC was doing Emma! Gah! I'm over the moon. (Btw, I just watched BBC's 2006 Jane Eyre. The best. Rent it now.)
Your girls are darling as ever, Sam is such a charmer, and I love the spontaneous mini-vacation you took! We decided one morning in Dec to head to Leavenworth and it was about the same--good eats, swimming in the hotel pool, breakfast in bed, jumping on the beds. Who needs Hawaii, eh?
Love you! R