Thursday, January 28, 2010

with love and squalor


When I was fourteen, my dad recommended I read his favorite short story, "For Esme - with Love and Squalor." I took his recommendation and discovered one of the greatest short stories in the English language. In remembrance of J.D. Salinger, I think I will read it again tonight. So contain your rage for having to read Catcher in the Rye in 10th grade and take a minute to remember Mr. Salinger by reading this brief, poignant masterpiece. You can find the full text (with some typos) here.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm a big J D Salinger fan (I realize I'm weird for that!), but I've never read that! Thanks for the recommendation!

Whitmer Family said...

Sounds enthralling! (I say enthralling, because I know many words...) I'll have to read it some time this year. One of my goals this year is to read a book each month. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Ken said...

This is a pretty easy joke, but I laugh ever time I read it:

The Onion on Salinger's death

gwyn said...

Ha, ha! I'm sure that's the kind of obit that he would appreciate. The phonies...

Andrea Holley said...

I have a friend who loves Salinger and named her first daughter Esme after the girl in the story. She's adorable. I think I'll read it now that you reminded me about it :)