Thursday, March 4, 2010

killing time

So what I am really desperate to do is blog about Eleanor's birthday. She turned five over the weekend and we had a great little family bash on Sunday, followed by her very first "friend party" on Monday. A good time was had by all (except for perhaps a few meltdowns from the birthday girl at her party, but that's expected... it's her party and she can cry if she wants to, right?)

But on Monday, Jared decided he absolutely had to install Windows 7. Right now! And, like all installations, it takes many steps. So Nora's party photos are trapped on the camera until he installs the right drivers.

So. Here we are. But can't you tell how pretty everything is in Windows 7? So shiny and new? Or perhaps you can't enjoy it so much from your end. You'll have to take my word for it.

While I'm not blogging about Nora's birthday, I will mention a few other slightly-less-blogworthy items.

  • Sam likes to sleep with matchbox cars. He is doing so right now. He clutches one in each fist and tucks them under his chin. I like this little boy.
  • My friend stopped by today with a sushi tray for us to share for lunch. Isn't that the best kind of surprise? Good friends who know when you need a visit and a snack? Thanks, Tricia! My tummy is happily full of California rolls.
  • I can't wait for my night of NBC comedy! I have done four loads of laundry so I have an excuse to sit in front of the TV all night while I fold and match up zillions of tiny socks. My burning question: what will Jim and Pam's baby look like? And will the show be better than the Murphy Brown baby episode? I am in happy anticipation.
  • I spent all of Tuesday reading Catching Fire, the sequel to Hunger Games. I like nerdy teen books that you can read in one day. I was only #17 on hold at the library (after 4 months of waiting) so my friend Angela - she was higher up on the hold list - let me borrow it when she was done. My family had leftovers for dinner that night. Sacrifices must be made!
  • I talked to my brother for a little bit today. I have really great siblings. And siblings in law. I wish we lived closer to them all, but hopefully I'll be able to visit more of them this year.

  • Another friend called to invite Eleanor to her daughter's 5th birthday tomorrow. They plan on seeing the new Alice in Wonderland. Am I an uptight mom for saying that Eleanor probably couldn't go? I've seen the previews and I think Helena Bonham Carter's forehead is terrifying!


Our new fancy keyboard feels like satin, but it keeps making me type the wrong letters. Hopefully I will return soon with birthday pics.

9 comments:

Jer said...

I like your list a lot. It could be my list if I had any friends who shared my love for sushi. Jeremy sleeps with a truck and a train every night, no exceptions. I also have laundry to fold tonight in anticipation of the big arrival. Also, I'm totally with you on the Alice and Wonderland thing. And I have to say, I'm watching the BBC version of Little Dorrit right now, and the first thing I thought of when I saw your photo of Helena Bonham Carter was how much she resembles Fanny Dorrit in the show. Seriously, it's uncanny.

Ok, sorry for the long comment. I was stuck in the house with four kids today, and I guess I'm feeling a bit chatty...

gwyn said...

Thanks for feeling chatty, Jerilyn! I love chatting with you. We should do it more often!

gwyn said...

And thanks for validating my list! :)

Faith said...

I have fairly liberal sensibilities but it's a pet peeve of mine when people take kids to age-inappropriate movies. The worst example I can think of is when a dad had his young son at Batman Begins, um--YEAH. The poor kid was crying and saying "Daddy, I'm scared!" and the dad just telling him to be quiet. It made me SO mad.

So yeah, I don't know about Alice. It does look a little much for most 5 year-olds I know.

Jared said...

Okay, okay, I've been shamed into getting those pictures off the camera! They're on the hard drive now.

Ken said...

Hey, your boyfriend Tim Fewkes was reading those Hunger Games books when I saw him last week. What is up with them? I'd never heard of them. The covers make them look sort of disreputable, like the kind of "science fiction" you find in Christian bookstores. Does one of these books have the Rapture in it?

Dylan watched Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe last week and was okay with it. He really wants to watch Jurassic Park on DVD but I keep telling him it might be too scary, so we are working up to it. Next up: Babe 2 Pig in the Horrifying City!

Jer said...

We should chat more often! And have you seen the cover and title for the last book of the Hunger Games? I'm so excited--I can't wait for next August (even if that does make me a nerd).

gwyn said...

Ken, was he wearing french cuffs while reading it, too? That would complete my little fantasy. I always thought the covers looked Tom Clancy espionagey, but they are neither that or evangelical. Just teen scifi. All the kids are reading them! Look at your library - I bet there are 50 holds.

gwyn said...

And Babe 2: Pig in the City made me cry. Why does the little dog have wheels for legs?!