
Eve is getting her eyes tested today.
About two months ago, she came home from school complaining about how she was sitting too far away from the overhead projector and couldn't see what her teacher was writing. Too far away? It just wasn't that big a classroom. Immediately we realized she most likely needed glasses and told her we should take her in for an exam. Let's just say that suggestion met with some formidable resistance from Eve. Hence, it's taken us this long to get her in to the eye doctor.
The turning point came last week at church. Eve was trying to find the right page in the hymnal and Jared told her to look up to the board in the front where the hymn numbers are displayed. She was kind of incredulous - like anyone could see that far away, Dad! He told her to go ahead and give it a try.
"Ummmm.... is that a 22?"
"Eve, there are no 2's anywhere up there."
Then he slipped his glasses in front of her eyes.
"Wow! Everything is so clear!" pause "Maybe you're right - I do need glasses."
Victory! So Jared and Eve are bonding over their four-eyed fate today, as he takes her to her eye exam and then out for a conciliatory lunch. I'm kind of wondering what frames she will come home with. If they have pink, I'm pretty sure she won't be able to resist. As long as she can see better, I don't care what they look like.
I'm vaguely worried about how her poor glasses will be treated. (Have you met Eve? Are you familiar with her charming absent-mindedness?) Any tips for getting your kids to wear and not abuse/lose/sit on their glasses? I'll have to report back soon with pics.
9 comments:
I know I'm biased, but I think little kids in glasses are so cute! Can't wait to see pictures!
I recommend having a cheaper pair (or old pair when you get one) of glasses for play time or friend time when they are bound to be forgotten and then a better pair for school or study time.
Get a hard case for them. I broke my first pair (not permanently thought) they were in a soft case. Also spring for the polycarbonate ones, but it's unlikely they'll have any other kind. Get the scratch resistant coating if they offer it. And get a jeweler's screw driver or a glasses repair kit.
I wish Mom and Dad had realized that early that I needed glasses.
Ha, I love the "maybe you're right"!! Funny! I bet her glasses will be so cute on her!
calvin's done great with his glasses. they get a little bent, but he has yet to really BREAK them. and it helped us, too, that i already wear glasses. he didn't feel so weird. i'm glad eve has jared!
and she'll be adorable! we'll be looking for pictures.
oh, and i second the above comments. the scratch-resistant coating is definitely worth it and also the two-way hinges. those hinges have saved us from several possible breakages.
Evan has had glasses for over a year now and has done well with them except for the time he bent them completely in half and they broke completely in half...sigh...Today he was playing outside with his 3D sidewalk chalk. He took off his real glasses to put on the 3D glasses and then, because he is so blind, he could not find his real glasses. I had to go out and help him. He said, with a wide spread of his hand, "I think they are in this area." Blind boy...how sad.
Reagan has worn glasses for three years now and my best advice is get a good warranty. We haven't had any broken beyond repair but we have to get them adjusted about once a month. It was more often at first. But if Eve can see better with them you won't have as many problems as you may have thought.
That's a great story. She'll be so cute in her glasses. I can't wait to see pictures. Ben has frames that can bend, twist and generally be crumpled and they spring right back. We are so glad we spent the money to get them because Tate would have destroyed many a pair by now of the regular kind.
Post a Comment