Summer vacation officially began around here at 1:30 this afternoon when Eve bounded joyfully off the bus in the way that only a child on the last day of school can do. Such a good feeling to hang up your backpack for the last time, to retire your lunch box for three months, to have the whole summer stretching before you, full of possibilities! I know this breathless excitement can't keep up all summer long, but I have high hopes for a wonderful summer spent with all my little ducklings at home with me.
I have had mixed feelings about this school year and am mostly relieved to see it end. I have had some issues with Eve's teacher this year and am ready to have my child back all to myself. On the other hand, this year saw Eve become more outgoing, more comfortable in social situations, and (sniff) not quite my little girl any more. I get so sentimental about my little ones growing up, so I'm glad to have Eve home with me and part of my daily schedule again for three months. Though I do have some worries about how we will all adjust to having the strong-willed force of nature that is Eve home with us all day. It'll be great, I'm sure of it!
We don't really have a full schedule. So far, Eve has a Girl Scout day camp the last week of June and both girls have two weeks of swim lessons the beginning of July. My Big Question: how many hours a day will Eve's friend B. spend at our house every day? Will he show up directly after breakfast? Will they want to play computer all day? Will they drive me totally nuts? Maybe I should have some rules in place. Like if we are still in our PJs, maybe B. should come back later. Any tips? What do you do to keep your kids occupied and out of the same old ruts all summer long?
It's only been eight hours, but summer vacay is already off to a great start. Eve and Nora played in the rain, we read the first chapter of one of our many new library books, went out for celebratory ice cream. I have high hopes for Day Two.

2 comments:
You said vacay. I must mock you.
That's the whole point! Next I will be saying "staycation." Stay tuned!
Post a Comment