Thursday, June 4, 2009

summer vacation: day two

I know it's only 12:30, but B. has now been here for three hours. At this very minute, he is eating quesadillas with my girls in the kitchen. It's a good thing he is a very nice little boy, or I might have some problems with where this trend is headed.

I suggested maybe we take a break after lunch for an hour or so, because I need to run to the store. Both Eve and B. decided that was okay - they could just play some more when we get back! I think I may need to embrace the idea that I will have an extra kid for the summer. On the bright side, there will be days when they play at B.'s house and I'll only have one! Always a silver lining!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Gwyn, I read a funny post on another blog about neighborhood rules for summer break that made me think of you. Here's the link:

http://lightrefreshmentsserved.com/2009/06/02/help-is-on-the-way/

My sister-in-law has five kids ranging from 2 years to 13 years old and there is a constant stream of neighborhood kids in and out of their house. She got fed up with constantly entertaining (and feeding) someone else's kids all day, so she actually made an "Open/Closed" sign for the front door and would change it depending on her mood - if she was up for having a bunch of kids over to play, they would see the "Open" sign and knock and come in. But if the "closed" sign was up, they would mostly leave them alone - except a few kids who would still try and my sister-in-law would answer the door and just point at the sign. Pretty funny!

gwyn said...

Mary, thanks for the tips! I read that same post too - I love Light Refreshments. Those ladies are so wise,I tell you. As for the open/closed sign, that is genius. I may have to make one of my own. Right now I have 4 kids here who are not my own...

Alison Ward said...

That is too funny! We had this problem more in UT than we do in MO, not as many neighbor kids running around. If it does start to happen though, that Open/Closed thing is a great idea. Enjoy your summer!