Thursday, July 3, 2008

giving the flag a little wiggle room


I have a flag Jello mold that I use once a year, for obvious reasons. It makes a cute little layered Jello that the kids love and that looks really festive. And nearly every year I have problems with it. (Maybe it runs in my family - I'm sure several family members remember the infamous 50 State Jello mold incident of '96!)

One year it wouldn't set up. Last year I brought it to a barbecue at a friends house only to have all three layers slide off of eachother, making a big wiggly mess. And this year? I haven't even made all three layers yet and disaster has already struck! While checking on the bowl of blue Jello (does my finger stick to it? does it "mound," like the recipe says?), a tupperware of taco meat decided to jump into my uncovered bowl of Jello.

I'm pretty sure that a cup of Jello exploded all over the inside of my fridge. It was everywhere! (It reminded me of the Mr. Bean episode where he's showing his waiter how his steak tartare is inside the salt shaker, under his plate, etc.) How did it get in the butter drawer? Or inside the loaf of bread? It was one big sticky mess - I don't think my fridge will ever be the same.

On the bright side, at least it gave me a reason to clean out my fridge. And maybe squatting and standing a hundred times wiping out the Jello will induce labor. Who knows? At least I already got my Jello crisis out of the way. I'm sure it will unmold just great tomorrow. With a somewhat thinner layer of blue.

3 comments:

Alison Ward said...

aggghhh! I know I would have said some choice words at that point, G rated of course :) Very cute though, my store bought potato salad would look very pitiful next to it! Good luck with the inducing labor part.

the design boss said...

I hate when that happens!! I honesty wonder sometimes what goes on in my fridge when I close the door!! The good thing about your jello salad is that it still tastes delish!!

Jenni said...

I am sorry for your Jello disaster! I hate cleaning my fridge and I'm sure that's about the last thing you wanted to do right then! I hope the inducing part worked for ya!:)