Monday, July 7, 2008

wasn't born yesterday

My due date was yesterday and I am still pregnant. It looks like this little boy will carry on the grand tradition established by his sisters of making a fashionably late entrance into this world.

Despite a very positive doctor's appointment on Thursday ("you'll go any day now!"), the 4th came and went - as did our dreams of naming him Benjamin Jefferson Quincy Hancock. It was a really super day, though - we met friends for the community BSA pancake breakfast, stayed for the parade, spent a lazy afternoon at home, had a little family BBQ (complete with flag Jello), and went to a nearby park to wait for night and fireworks. The kids were troopers from start to finish, despite being up till 11:00. Alas, I have absolutely no pictures because I was not in the mood to bend down and squat and coax smiles. I'm kind of regretting that now.

I thought the 5th would be a grand day for the baby to come. But Eleanor was pretty grumpy and underslept, so on closer inspection, maybe it's all for the best he stayed put.

I was prepared to stay home from church yesterday. I really hate going to church on/after my due date - it is usually an exercise in humiliation and tongue-biting. But at the last minute, I decided that I'd rather go than stay home and feel sorry for myself, so I threw on a dress and a really positive attitude and joined my family. I was glad I went. For the first time ever, no one said anything rude. On the contrary, everyone was so sweet and supportive. And it gave me the opportunity to secure one of my Laurels as our emergency babysitter for whenever labor strikes. I thought last night would be a good night for his arrival so I wouldn't have to go to my doctor's appointment this morning. No such luck.

At my appointment this morning, I actually scheduled an induction. For the the first time ever. I'm on the line up for 6am Saturday morning, but I really think (and hope!) he will come on his own before then. I certainly tried today! I spent today doing three loads of laundry, mopping all the floors in my house, cleaning two bathrooms, and changing and washing the sheets on my bed. Let's see if my fanatical nesting brings on labor. Who wants to go on a nice long walk after dinner?

13 comments:

Mary said...

Despite being beyond your due date, your attitude is great! Just steer clear of the castor oil (right Lynette?). Good luck you guys!

~ Amy said...

Come on little guy! I hope all goes well for you! And SOON!

Alison Ward said...

It'll be tomorrow, I can feel it :) Your 4th sounded delightful. Good luck in the coming days!

Miranda said...

I've heard kim chi can bring on labour...which is why I ate about half a jar the week before Liam came. He was early though.

Mendy said...

The only words of comfort I have for you, sweet Gwyn, are this: he can't stay in there forever! You know it's only a matter of days, right? I've been there. Three years ago on the fourth of July, I threatened to safety pin my little 0-3 months flag t-shirt to my ginormous 8-day-overdue belly just to get my five bucks out of it! Hopefully, you didn't have to stare at an empty flag tee!

Can't wait to hear about your little guy when he does make his appearance!

Lynette said...

I'll go on a nice long walk with you!!! Or you can just get the show on the road and use the castor oil already!!! Why doesn't anyone think this is a good idea...it worked great for me! I can't wait to hear all about when your little man arrives!

Jer said...

Ditto to what everyone else has said. If it's any consolation, I cleaned my house from top to bottom the last two days and pretty much up until we left for the hospital, complete with putting up the Christmas tree and making chicken broth. That nesting instinct is always a good sign...You guys are in our prayers!

gwyn said...

You guys are all so sweet! Thanks for the words of encouragement. So nice to know I have such kind friends who have all been here before. :) Go team!

Unknown said...

You go girl!!! Because you have scheduled your induction he will come before than. We will be praying for you and can't wait to see how cute he is!!! I wish you the easiest and best labor EVER!!!!!

Rachel said...

Gwyn, I was SO in your shoes last year! I think my due date was June 28th & we ended up having Clara July 9 (a great day for a birthday :)). We had such high hopes for the 4th since it was, like, a WEEK past the due date and such a festive day to have a baby, but no such luck. I did go to church once after the due date passed, but the 2nd time around I simply refused--especially since another gal in my ward who was due three weeks after me had just had her baby. The injustice! All my girls have been 1.5 weeks over, so it was expected. Clara was totally worth the wait, though, and I'm sure your little guy will be too!

gwyn said...

Rachel -
It IS an injustice! There were two other girls in my ward due the same week as me and both of them have already had their babies. How rude! I wonder if my baby will come on July 9... :)

Corinne said...

How I feel your pain, friend. Preston waited 8 ever lovin' days past his due date. I'll be hoping!!

Jenni said...

Oh Gwyn I'll pray for you!! I hope that your little guy makes his appearance soon!! Best wishes to you during these last few days!!