Wednesday, July 2, 2008

oh, what do you eat in the summertime?

It is hot in Medford. And hazy and smoky courtesy of the several wildfires burning in northern California. And who wants to cook in weather like this?

Tonight we had one of my favorite hot weather, I-don't-want-to-cook dinners - Panzanella. Thanks, Barefoot Contessa! It's a great Tuscan style salad, consisting mostly of toasted bread cubes and fresh veggies in a light vinaigrette. I make it more dinnery by adding mozzarella and cannellini beans. I forgot to take a picture of it before we ate it, but I promise it is nice and refreshing on a hot day. We had corn on the cob and watermelon to go with and my kitchen is still cool.

What else is cool and tasty on a hot summer night? What is your favorite keep-cool summer recipe? This hot pregnant lady wants to know!

5 comments:

Jenni said...

We love to grill in the summer - at least it doesn't heat up the kitchen! Our faves to grill are marinated chicken tenders and zucchini and yellow squash drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic salt - mmm! We also eat and amazing amount of watermelon in the summertime!:) Have I ever told you how much I love Barefoot Contessa! Ina's recipes are always fab!!

gwyn said...

Jenni -
I didn't know you were a Barefoot Contessa fan! I have to agree, her recipes are always pretty good. As long as you can get past the snobbiness: "Jeffrey and I LOVE to take little picnics down to Martha's Vineyard..." or "Jeffrey and I LOVE this little bakery in the Hamptons..." Whatever, Ina! I just use you for your recipes. :)

Jer said...

We love to grill in the summer, too. I usually do it 2-3 times a week. But this summer, I've also been enjoying my crock pot. I have a couple great pork recipes for the crock pot--sweet and sour pork and pulled pork sandwiches (you use the leftovers from the sweet and sour pork to make the sandwiches for another meal) and I also have a yummy recipe for an imitation Costa Vida Sweet Pork from the crock pot. Really good in a burrito! If you want any of those recipes, let me know!

gwyn said...

Jerilyn -
Sure, I'd love the recipes! Email them my way. Crockpot is a great idea. We like to grill, but have yet to upgrade to a real size grill and I hate making Jared cook over our teeny one too often. So next summer we must definitely upgrade. We made your delicious grilled teriyaki chicken for my family at the coast, by the way - it was great!

the design boss said...

Pizza! or take out! those are my favorite, but if I must cook or "fix" dinner I like to do chicken salad sandwiches with grapes and nuts and other things on of course butter croissants!! yummmm!