This morning, I woke up, removed the tape, and stepped back to admire my lovely white door. But it's beauty was marred by the hundreds of nasty spiderwebs crowding the windows on the outside. (We live in Oregon so we have millions of spiders. They are the state bird.) So I got my spider-whacking broom and made short work of those nasty webs. And then I windexed the windows - that door looked like a million bucks, I tell you!
Later, after coming home from a few errands, we looked out our lovely clean door windows and noticed about 50 wasps buzzing furiously around our door. They were throwing themselves at the door and windows making this incessant thwacking sound, like a million tiny tap dancers. It was alarming! What did I do to make them so mad? Did I choose the wrong paint color? Who knew the spiders were such a vital part of my front door ecosystem?!
(Maybe this is a good time to mention that Eve delevoped a severe, start-hyperventilating-and-burst-into-tears anxiety about wasps when she was bit twice by one earlier in the summer. Needless to say, she was not very happy about what was going on outside our front door.)
And, to make this even sadder, Eve's friend B. had come over while we were gone to see if EVe could play. While standing on our porch and knocking on the door, poor innocent B. was attacked and ran home with a wasp bite! And later, I had to come running out of the backdoor to intercept the FedEx guy before he ventured into the dangerzone. And I am supposed to have a presidency meeting here in about an hour! Luckily, I have a backdoor but I feel like I should put up a sign or something.
What should I do?! I'm trapped in my house by a million angry wasps!

This picture looks very ominous when you know there a million angry wasps swarming just on the other side of that door, throwing themselves at it with ferocity! You can't even tell how pretty the new white paint looks. It's called Crumb Cookie.
5 comments:
You must have a nest by your door. Look for the paper nest in the eves or look for cracks in the cement around your house. There is cement Spackle you can buy to fill in the cracks. There is also wasp spray to kill the wasps before venturing out to check for their domicile. Do you remember the wasps that lived in front of our door in Murray? It was a very similar situation but once we filled in the cracks in the cement they moved elsewhere.
Yeah, there is a little hole in the siding the keep flying in and out of. We have spray, but I'm not brave enough to venture in while they are still swarming. I'll look around for that spackle, because I would love to avoid this problem in the future.
Yikes! The only bee trick I know is to put a hot dog on a string and a bucket of water underneath them. They eat themselves stupid, and are too heavy to fly...fall into the water and drown. Sounds morbid, I know, but it works. Maybe that would be a harmless (depends on perspective) way to kill some until you get the gumption (...because I know so many words) to go out spraying killer at them. Sorry, friend that you have to deal with all this! :(
We had this problem this summer too. I asked Nathan to spray inside the crack and it seemed to take care of the problem. I'll probably fill in the crack like Mindy suggested now though. I hadn't thought of that. I'm a bit paranoid of E getting stung because with our luck he's probably seriously allergic to them.
They're less active at dusk and night if you want to spray then.
Yikes. Good luck!
Brennan's side is fine now, and he will probably venture down later JUST to see the awesome "booby trap" for the wasps. Nothing brings my boys more pleasure than seeing a good TRAP!! ;) Hope it works. Matt will come down and spray for you if you can find the spray.
Post a Comment