Friday, April 9, 2010

because I'm kind of shaped like one


Once upon a time, I did this:


That is me in the center of my loving family, basking in the glow of having completed a marathon. Well, I call it glow. Everyone else would probably call it sweat.

It was an eternity ago. Or at least 6 years ago, which is kind of the same thing. In the intervening years, I have had two more children and lived in two different states and not run a single race

Until tomorrow, that is! Tomorrow I am running the annual Pear Blossom Run 10 mile race here in lovely Medford.



I decided in January that I was tired of talking about wanting to run the Pear Blossom - I was just going to do it. So I bought these awesome new shoes (they are hot pink which I think will make me run extra speedy quick!)

and put some great music on my mp3 player and ran out the door for the first time in ages. And it was great. I really love starting the day with a run, but I really really love the promise of at least 40 minutes of peace and quiet, all to myself, every day. Even if I have to be running to get it, I will do it. And a big thanks to Jared for getting up with the kids, especially on Saturdays, so I could get that precious peace and quiet. He's a rockstar!

Wish me luck tomorrow! I don't think it's supposed to pour rain, which is always a plus. And to the lady in the race packet line today who looked at me, raised an eyebrow and said, "The 10 mile?" like someone as stumpy as me shouldn't be allowed to run it, just watch me! I will be crossing that finish line at approximately 10:00 tomorrow. I hope she's there to see it!

12 comments:

Taliatha said...

Good luck, little racer! I'm proud of you.

Faith said...

I didn't know you were doing this. How great! I agree, exercising alone after kids feels like a mini-vacation. Good luck tomorrow!

Miranda said...

Why am I not in that picture? Was that when I was on my honeymoon?

gwyn said...

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone!

Miranda, if I remember right, I think it was the day after you went through the temple. So a week before the wedding? I'm sure you had plenty going on.

Mindy said...

Good Luck!!! Wish we could be there with banners this time too!

Whitmer Family said...

You are going to do AWESOME!! So excited for you!

Jer said...

Way to go, Gwyn! I admire your motivation to get up every morning. I'm sure you'll do great!

Ken said...

Wait, this is awesome. How did the race go?

Miranda, I TOLD Gwyn not to Photoshop you out of that picture, but she swore you wouldn't notice. You are that weird pixelated area between Mom and Dad, you can see the "clone brush" marks.

Who wants to be in that picture less, Dylan or Eve?

gwyn said...

Thanks, Ken! Definitely Eve. Dylan at least had the courtesy to look bored at the camera. Eve couldn't even muster that!

Alison Ward said...

Good for you Gwyn!! and curse that lady, seriously, some people. . . Hope the race went awesomely! (yes I'm sure that's a word ;-D )

Unknown said...

Way to go!!!! a 10 mile was my goal too this year!!!! we will see if I actually get to this year!!! I am so proud!!!!

holly b said...

I'll run with you next year! Or at least start the race... I'm on week 2 of "get myself active again" and I was just thinking that next year's pear blossom run would be great motivation. it's hard to find Saturday races that aren't too far away. sounds like it was a great run for you. way to go! : )