There has been a flurry of activity around here since the weekend. We are expecting our first real live houseguests this weekend! My brother and his family are coming down to spend the weekend with us. We have been looking forward to it for a while - they are really fun to hang out with and the girls can't wait to see their cousins. And it has also been a great motivational tool to push through a few little home projects we've wanted to do.
- moved our bed into the spare room/my-future-sewing-room
- ordered a new bed for ourselves
- hung new curtains in the dining room
- hung several pictures
- installed blinds in the guest room
- AND, finally painted our bedroom!
It seemed like a good idea to paint over the hideous color that was our bedroom while there was no bed in it, our new bed not yet having arrived. And the thought of not having to stare at Briarroot and Muted Gold upon waking up every morning sent a thrill through me! Did I mention I was staring at them through black, fabric accordian blinds? Did I mention the blinds were also broken and couldn't open? I was very very motivated.
I found a sample card at Lowe's that I fell in love with, name and all: Cake Stand Blue. It seemed light, tranquil, and it made me think of cake - a perfect combination! So I marched into Lowe's last Friday, bought two gallons, and the painting extravaganza began. It took us the bulk of Saturday to prime over all the brown, and we spent Monday and Tuesday evenings spreading tranquility (and cake) over our bedroom walls.
Cake Stand Blue is a lot paler in person than it is in the tastefully decorated Martha Stewart sample room. Could it have something to do with the very tiny print at the bottom of the card that reads "Color may vary due to limitations of the printing process?" Yes, yes it could.
Jared will readily tell you that I was dismayed at first and sulked a good bit of the time we painted. You couldn't tell where you had rolled on paint and where you hadn't, the color was so close to the white primer! Fortunately, it has mellowed into a nice but very light blue and I think I am at peace with it. I will forgive you Cake Stand Blue. Especially if you bring me nights of serene sleep and mornings of cheery sunlight on your walls. And some cake wouldn't hurt, either.
6 comments:
Oooh, I can see how you fell in love with the Cake Stand Blue. I liked it in the picture, too. Sorry it didn't turn out exactly how you had hoped, but hopefully it's an improvement!And who wouldn't want to wake up thinking of cake...yum yum.
Maybe it would have helped if it was cake-scented cake stand blue. The picture you linked to is lovely.
Oh, and congrats on getting a new bed! That's nice!
It has taken me a long time to learn this paiting lesson... don't buy two gallons. Buy a small sample or a quart and test it out first. That way you won't be stuck with walls you don't like. However, I have also learned that flexibility is a wonderful trait to have, and even if the color didn't turn out exactly like you wanted, it is a definite improvement over the browns! And hopefully your new bed goes perfectly with it! Now to do the baby's room...
You must be very tired....all those projects!! I love the name and it sounds like anything would be better then what you had. Lynette and I thought it would be fun to go visit you together. It would be a lot of fun!!
Oh! I have had the exact same experience with a pale blue color paint. I have grown to like it and my bathroom has never felt more tranquil.
Today I spent eleven hours painting, actually. And the color was yellower than I was expecting. Oh, I hate painting!!!
Good luck with all your exciting preparations!
i'm impressed you were so decisive! i had paint samples on our walls for a YEAR before i decided on a color and did it. then i still wasn't so sure.
but like the name of your choice. you can dream about cake every night. :)
Post a Comment