We spent a happy Saturday at the annual Medford Pear Blossom Festival. It is one of the community's bigger events so we didn't want to miss it our first year. It apparently pours rain every year, but this year it was sunny and hot, which made for a nice toasty day. The festival kicks off with a big race, which I decided to opt out of this year, but think I will try for next year instead. After the race, there is a big parade through downtown, complete with horses, Pear Blossom royalty, and tractors galore! The kids had a lot of fun at the parade, Eve kneeling on some kind family's blanket and Eleanor perched on Jared's shoulders.
After the parade, we headed several blocks down to the open air festival which mostly consisted of various craftsy vendors and food stands. By this time, the kids were so hot and so tired, we just bought them huge ice cream cones and let them cool down in the shade. Which perked them up amazingly! By the time we got back to the car, they were ready for another round. We had parked next to our library, so we decided to give Jared a tour since he had never been. So we spent another pleasant hour or so cooling off in the library and looking at books.
It was pretty late in the afternoon when we finally got home. Eleanor marched directly into her room and fell asleep on her bedroom floor. Parades are hard work.
***********************************************************
Other fruits of our weekend include painting the dining room. Jared and I spent Friday night finally painting over the walls we had primed weeks ago. The original color of the walls was a shade I like to call "Scab," a dark dark purply red. "Scab" may have driven us too far in the other direction, because now the walls are a very agressive yellow. Jared is pleased with the color, which makes me happy. I think they'll soften up when we get curtains and other things up.
***********************************************************
Also, I taught my first Young Women's lesson on Sunday. It was combined, which was tricky for a first-timer. Happily, they laughed at my jokes and didn't stare at me blankly the entire time. I'll accept that as success.
4 comments:
Oooh, painting. We haven't braved that frontier yet. Sounds like it's working out for you guys, though! You should post pictures when you get the room put together!
And I love all your clever titles, by the way--including this one and your blog title!
Pictures of the dining room, please! Also, did you decide on curtains? I sure whatever you settle on will look smashing.
Yah...we want to see pictures! It sounds like the festival was a lot of fun. And good job teaching in YW...you would be great!
You went from Cherry blossoms to Pear! How fun for you! You would be fabulous at teaching in YW. They are going to eat you up!
Post a Comment