I decided to bite the bullet and vacuum out my car yesterday afternoon. I was motivated in part by my potentially needing to give rides to some of the girls at Young Women's last night and I cringed at the thought of what we might find under the car seats. What was visible was bad enough! And with a real live garage to do it in - not just the parking outside our old townhouse - it seemed a good day to do it.
I feel I have been able to stave off the heartache of leaving a much-loved place and dear friends by keeping busy and immersing myself in getting our new life set up. But I unexpectedly felt some pangs as I waded through the drifts of goldfish crumbs and cheesestick wrappers and ancient fruit snacks. A few items that prompted some misty-eyed reflection:
I feel I have been able to stave off the heartache of leaving a much-loved place and dear friends by keeping busy and immersing myself in getting our new life set up. But I unexpectedly felt some pangs as I waded through the drifts of goldfish crumbs and cheesestick wrappers and ancient fruit snacks. A few items that prompted some misty-eyed reflection:
- a tag from the big calendar we used for Eve's Joy School class last year. (Sorry Joy Moms! I had "April" all along!)
- a drawing Eve had colored in her Primary class last fall
- ticket stubs to the Baltimore Aquarium from our "5 After 5" adventure last winter
- the little gold metallic sprinkles that exploded all over the front seat of our car when I accidentally upended a plate of sugar cookies on the way home from our friends' house on Christmas Eve.
- my Giant supersaver card
- an old program from the Laurel Ward
I think the prize for longevity goes to a tupperware I found under the front seat that I was supposed to give back to a friend at church...two years ago! (Sorry Amy K! If you thought Judy stole your tupperware, she didn't - she gave it to dependable me to return to you. If you want your purple-lidded tupperware back, let me know.)
My car may be clean of all these memories, but my heart isn't. To all my dear Marylanders, I send my love!
6 comments:
Oh Gwyn...I wish you had found ME underneath your front seat!!!! Then we could've played together today :) We miss you too...and I love your blog post!
That made me miss you! What a fun post - garbage makes you think of Maryland ;) haha!
Oh Gwyn this was such a sweet post! I extra-specially loved the title!! We miss you too!
I like the Oregon fun facts. I eagerly await for more in the series. :)
you (almost) inspire me to clean out our car and see what we can find.... :) we miss you too!
So THAT's where my missing tupperware has been living... And to think all this time I have been accusing Darren of leaving it at work! j/k. Feel free to reuse it (providing it was clean 2 years ago when it found its way to your car). May it remind you of Maryland...
Post a Comment