Wednesday, April 9, 2008

double trouble and other complaints

I went in to check on the girls before going to bed last night to find Eve drenched in tears and clutching her ears. In some ways I really don't like how she's in a bunk bed now because I can't just sit on her bed and take her in my arms - I could only sort of reach up and pat her arm comfortingly. She had clearly been crying for a while and was in a great deal of pain.

We had taken her to the doctor on Sunday because she had been complaining about her right ear aching and when my kids get ear aches, they are usually the full-blown, why-didn't-you-bring-her-in-earlier kind of infection. But Mr. Oregon doctor assured us that it was just a tiny infection and would probably go away on it's own. He handed me the antibiotic prescription, but said I should wait a few days to see if she really needed it. I was ready to embrace this new attitude, so we dutifully put the prescription aside.

Fast forward to last night. Thanks, Mr. Oregon doctor! A double ear infection later, I think I will be driving directly to my Target pharmacy next time, thankyouverymuch.

********************************************************


I kept Eve home from school and she's been driving us a bit nuts. For a girl with a lot of pain in both ears, she has a remarkable amount of energy. We dropped off the prescription at Target and ran to the library for story time. We have a very pretty libary in a lovely new building, but it is sadly open only a few days a week due to some crisis in the county budget. Closing libraries seems like a misplacement of priorities, but at least they have a beautiful children's section with a ton of books and a nice story time.

Eve was ecstatic to find Magic Treehouse #10 today. She had to make do with #11 at her school library day yesterday, but she is (not surprisingly) a little compulsive and really likes reading them in order. Her school librarian, however, did ask her if she had permission from her teacher to check it out. Permission? Was it in the restricted section? My mom the librarian would never have done that! I was a little bit annoyed that they seem to assume that kindergartners should only be looking at Miss Spider and Curious George. That's my complaint for this section.

****************************************************************

After the library we rushed back to Target to get her prescription and stopped briefly to look for jeans in my fruitless quest to buy my kids new jeans. Last week, both Eve and Eleanor tore holes in the knees of their jeans (Eve in two pairs!) and I have been questing ever since. First of all, it's the wrong time of year to be looking for jeans. Second of all, I really wanted a pair that wouldn't tear through the knees in 4 months like Eve's last pair. Thirdly, I am having the hardest time finding a pair that will actually fit Eve. She is now in the "Girls" section and the jeans there are cut like women's jeans. Low rise? Skinny fit? Extra flare? Why can't I find her a pair of little girl jeans, since that is what she is? Where do you buy your girls jeans? Any help?

********************************************************************

This is a random complaint, but the jeans made me think of it. Why am I having such a hard time finding Eve a buddy here in Oregon? We have had a few girls come over to play and they have all been friends from church. And while the visits haven't been a total disaster, I have been a little bit surprised by the junior-high catiness I've observed. They have all seemed to have complete disdain for all of Eve's interests - dinosaurs, drawing, My Little Ponies, dress ups. Is Eve socially stunted? Does it have something to do with the jeans triggering some early pubescence? Does wearing lowrise, superflare jeans at the age of 6 turn little girls into mini teenagers?

Enough complaints. I should go find the patient and encourage two teaspoons of antibiotics into her. And then I will try to encourage a nap into both of them.

11 comments:

Miranda said...

That's really sad that those girls are being little bratz. Maybe you should level the playing field by having a water balloon fight or something when it gets warmer. Soak 'em with a hose!

I'm surprised that you couldn't find any jeans at target. Have you look at Kohl's or Mervyn's? Mom used to buy me boy's jeans from Mervyn's; they were normal straight leg denim jeans.

gwyn said...

Hey Miranda! I did indeed look at Target, but in the girls section right now they just have their basic Circo brand which is what Eve ripped a hole in within 4 months. Kohl's only had $25 Levi's and, alas, no Mervyn's. Everywhere just has shorts right now! Because the size 6 jeans are always too long on her, I tried my hand at some 5T Cherokee jeans I found at Target. Wish me luck. Next we'll work on her pitching arm. :)

Jennie Z said...

You know how non-trendy (and poor)I am , but I will have to say that I have had the best luck with jeans from the Children's Place. The are very sturdy and have a cute cut to them. I bought Kate a pair last fall and have loved them. They were on sale at the time 2 for $20. Last time I was in there a few weeks ago they still carried them like maybe they were a staple product. (on the back wall- folded - kind of thing) They have a bit of a bootcut, but not enough to make here look like a teenager, just really cute. Max has a pair from there too and they have held up really well. Sorry you are dealing with friend issues- never fun when you move! It is great that you have a good library! Storytime is part of our weekly routine too.

Mindy said...

Gwyn,

I just thought you should know that I think you're very funny. Not that I am laughing at your problems- just your phrasology. Is it masochistic that I am cheered up after reading about your troubles? :)
Oh, I have an easy fix for the friend problem and I think you know where I am going with this... Just move a little tiny bit further north. You've already come so far- a little bit more and you're right by a perfect playmate for Evie. He also loves to read those treehouse books, loves dinosaurs and just for his favorite Evie would even play my little pony without complaint!

Malinda said...

Hey Gwyn, You probably don't remember me LOL!! It's good to see you guys are going well. Congrats on the recent move and the pregnancy that is so exciting!!! I will send you an email and invite you to our blog. I think I still have it from our maryland days! If not I will leave you mine and you can send me an email so I can get yours. Malinda03@gmail.com

Rachel said...

Gwyn, can Eve come over & play with Anna? She happens to adore dinos (currently have a bunch of books checked out). And My Little Ponies, any Disney princess, any bugs and Winnie-the-Pooh super sleuths. I heard the kindergarteners here are into Hannah Montana. I'm relieved Anna misses the cutoff & won't go for another year yet! (Yes, that's our decision and it feels GOOD.) I'm not ready to have her grow up in a negative way. So, send Eve up this way any time! (Sounds like you have others lobbying for an "up north" visit.)
I also endorse the Children's Place jeans.

Mendy said...

Hey--I saw your link of Deb's blog and thought "That can't be my friend, Gwyn?!" I'm so glad it's you!

I have a terrible time with other people wanting my nine year-old Maia to be more of a pre-teen (and sometimes teen, in my estimation) than a little girl. My sweet Maia is still perfectly content to play with fairy figurines and watch Barbie movies. I'm finding that her friends are into Bratz (whom I cannot bring myself to endorse) and things I think are way too grown up for my little angel. We've also had a couple of incidents where neighbor girls have enlightened her, or tried to, on various topics under the heading of "the facts of life." It's been interesting...

gwyn said...

Mendy! I thought I sent you the link - sorry if I forgot. Pregnant brain. :) But I'm glad you're here. Your comment kind of scares me to death, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Jer said...

Seriously--I know what you mean about the jeans! Around here I have trouble finding the non-shapely kind for Ella, and she's Eleanor's age!!
Glad to know I'm not the only one having trouble with this!

the design boss said...

It makes me so sad when they are in so much pain! I am a firm believer that Mom's know best and not doctors. I am glad that you at least had a perscription. In terms of Jeans. I would try Children's Place and Lands End. I feel the same way and have had a terrible time finding stuff for Hannah. They are just little kids and should be little kids for as long as possible. The other thing you might want to do is look in the boys section, without Eve knowing!

~ Amy said...

I have the perfect solution. Help us find a job out there. We'll come and Evan will come play with Eve. He even likes Ponies.